Frequently Asked Questions:
How does Ko-tonics finish firearms?
Four factors are critical for successful application of the firearm finishes that we use at Ko-tonics
(DuraCoat and Cerakote.)
- Surface Preparation
Each firearm is carefully disassembled, and metal parts are separated from plastic. Each part or
group of parts is soaked in special degreasers which work best for that material. Parts are
soaked for 18-24 hours, to ensure that every bit of oil or grease has been removed from the
surface and any seams.
2) Surface Preparation:
Parts which are to be refinished are moved to an abrasive blasting cabinet, where they are
blasted with 120 grit aluminum oxide. This creates microscopic peaks and valleys on the surface
of the part. Barrel bores are plugged on both ends before blasting. After blasting, parts are
inspected and cleaned with 150PSI air to remove all grit.
Parts made of steel (receivers, barrels, etc) are then Parkerized with a zinc phosphate
parkerizing solution. This creates barbwire-like crystalline structures on the peaks and valleys.
When DuraCoat or Cerakote are sprayed on this surface, the liquid actually sinks into and below
the surface of the metal, insuring that the new coating cannot come off.
This is the one factor which most often causes epoxy-based coatings to fail. Coating and
hardener must be mixed in the proper ratio to ensure that they will cure properly. We are often
approached by people who have tried these coatings and had poor results. From speaking with
them, very often this is the biggest reason for failure. Even competent gunsmiths make mistakes
in mixing. Your firearm will have an extremely hard, durable surface as a result of our proven
knowledge and experience.
Ko-tonics uses the best, top-of-the-line HVLP spray equipment, not cheap Chinese knock-offs.
We use this equipment nearly every day, and test against practice guns and parts to try new
materials and techniques. We know exactly how to get a smooth hard finish without runs or thin
spots. We use an oven especially designed for firearms, with three digital alarm thermometers to
get the best drying and curing for the parts after spraying.
We go through all this for one reason: QUALITY. We want you to be absolutely satisfied with the
quality and durability of the finish Ko-tonics has applied. We want to create firearms that will be
gifts for your children and grandchildren.
- BulkMunitions -Solid online ammo retailer that specializes in bulk ammo sales. Cheap prices
and pretty good selection. They also donate 10% of their profits to Christian charities.
- Precision Rifle & Tool - Ray Bowman, master machinist and toolmaker, is the man to see if
you are looking for long-range tactical and hunting rifles. Precision bolt rifles and general
- Durham Pistol and Rifle Club - One of the finest private pistol and rifle clubs in the
southeast US. Excellent facilities, beautiful ranges, and reasonable membership fees.
- glocktalk.com - Glock pistols are viewed as a working man's standard in the world of
handguns. Here is a great site for anyone interested in this fine weapon.
- www.czforum.com - Site dedicated to owners of CZ firearms, especially one of the best and
most underrated pistols in the world, the CZ75. Part of the ezboard network, which can
sometimes be a pain to join.
- www.AR15.com - One of the most popular and informative Web sites for firearms
enthusiasts. There are forums on AR15.com for almost every category of firearms and
- www.thehighroad.org - Useful Web site for general firearm interest.
- www.thefiringline.com - Web site and forums with emphasis on tactical and self-defense.
Many other topic forums as well.
- www.1911forum.com - Very nice site for those interested in the M1911 pistol, which many
believe to be J.M. Browning's greatest design.
- www.surplusrifle.com - A nice site for shooters of military arms of all nations. Has forums,
articles and many links.
- www.hkweaponsystems.com - Fans of Heckler and Koch firearms and clones hangout here.
Lots of great information and history of roller-delayed-blowback firearms.
- www.hitsunlimited.com - Ranks the top 100 firearms Web sites, including commercial sites,
with descriptions of goods and services. Click the Hunting->Guns and Gear drop down
menu on the left side of the page.
- http://world.guns.ru - A very comprehensive archive of information about nearly every
modern firearm in the world.
- www.imoutdoors.com - Directory of outdoor sport Web sites and commercial services.
- www.linkselect.com - Directory of Web sites, separated into hunting/shooting, fishing and
camping. Under each category, links are organized and alphabetized. Very useful.
- www.outdoor-resources.com - Directory of outdoor services and products, tailored more for
hunting, fishing and camping than firearms specifically. Listing of hunting and fishing